ARENA – Refugees and Recognition (Toolkit 3) – An Erasmus+ Project
- a university staff member working in international admissions?
- in charge of recognition of foreign qualifications?
- a credential evaluator?
- an immigration officer or integration adviser for newly arrived refugees and migrants?
- looking for ways to recognize qualifications when the documentation is missing?
This project page will help you when dealing with refugees’ qualifications.
Refugees country briefings
The first results of the project are five refugees country briefings, providing updated and relevant information on the assessment of qualifications from Yemen, Burundi, Rwanda, Sudan and Palestine. The first refugees country briefing, for Yemen, can be accessed below. The briefings will be presented through webinars held by experienced credential evaluators in 2021. Further information will be published on this webpage in advance.
About the project
The overall goal of the Refugees and Recognition – Toolkit 3 (ARENA) project is to enhance the mobility, employability and access to further studies for refugees, displaced persons and persons in a refugee-like situation, including those without official documentation of their educational background.
The project builds on the completed Refugees and Recognition – Toolkit project, where a common methodological approach to the recognition of refugees’ qualifications was developed with the Toolkit for Recognition of Refugees’ Qualifications (pdf). In the follow-up project Refugees and Recognition – Toolkit 2 (REACT), the methodology was successfully tested as a supplement to ordinary admission procedures in cooperation with Oslo Metropolitan University (NO), University of Bremen (DE), University of Utrecht (NL), LUISS University (IT) and the University of Limerick (IE). The REACT Q-Card for Admission Officers (pdf) represents the main outcome of the project, providing recommendations for action at higher education institutions working towards enabling access to further studies for refugees, displaced persons and persons in a refugee-like situation.
In the ARENA project, the aim is to further test, upscale and adjust the Toolkit in cooperation with national recognition centres and higher education institutions (HEIs) from major refugee-receiving countries. Further testing of the methodology in cooperation with institutions that have a diverse set of admission procedures and refugee populations will contribute towards more efficient implementation of the methodology across national contexts. The project will also address the need to integrate a broader focus on ensuring the sustainability of identified best practice procedures and assessment schemes, in an effort towards increased capacity building at institutions. Moreover, five new refugee country briefings will be developed, providing updated and easily accessible information on the educational systems of Yemen, Rwanda, Burundi, Sudan and Palestine.
Main project activities
- Partnership meeting
- Kick-off meeting with project consortium
- Development of refugee country briefings and e-learning materials for Yemen, Rwanda, Burundi, Sudan and Palestine
- Workshop with HEIs
- Further testing of the Toolkit in cooperation with HEIs from Greece and Malta
- Mapping of how HEIs in Italy view the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees (EQPR) as a supplementary document for admission to further studies
- Managing sustainability of best practice procedure identified in the Refugees and Recognition – Toolkit 2 (REACT) project
- National seminars for stakeholders on the dissemination of results from testing of the Toolkit in major refugee-receiving countries
- Development of e-learning materials on identified best practice cases of recognition of refugees’ qualifications and admission of refugee students to further studies
- Final dissemination seminar for ENIC-NARICs, HEIs and policy stakeholders in Brussels
- Partnership meeting (June 2020)
– Minutes from the meeting (pdf)
- Kick-off seminar for consortium (October 2020)
– Minutes from the meeting (pdf)
- Development of refugee country briefings and e-learning materials for Yemen, Rwanda, Burundi, Sudan and Palestine (September–December 2020)
- Workshop with HEIs (December 2020)
– Minutes from the workshop (pdf)
- Further testing of the Toolkit in cooperation with HEIs from Greece and Malta (January–July 2021)
- Mapping of how HEIs in Italy view the EQPR as a supplementary document for admission to further studies (July 2021–January 2022)
- Managing sustainability of best practice procedure identified in the REACT project (January–December 2021)
- National seminars for stakeholders on the results from testing of the Toolkit (October–November 2021)
- Development of e-learning materials on identified best practice cases of recognition and admission of refugee students (November–December 2021)
- Final dissemination seminar in Brussels (Spring 2022)
Country briefing for:
If you would like more information about this project, please contact us at: email@example.com