Recognition of foreign vocational education and training
This recognition procedure is for applicants who can document completed vocational education and training from abroad.
Follow our application guide:
Who can apply?
NOKUT accepts applications for recognition of craft and journeyman’s certificates from Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland in the following qualifications:
- Cabinet maker
- Industrial concrete worker
- Industrial machinery mechanic
- Meat cutter
- Retail butcher
- Sausage maker
- Wood products carpenter
The recognition procedure will gradually include more countries and qualifications. Please see our website for information.
Requirements for you as applicant:
- You must have legal residence or occupational connection to Norway to be able to seek recognition of their foreign vocational education and training.
- The decision on recognition shall be based on authentic information on the qualification.
a. You are responsible for giving sufficient information and in good faith.
b. NOKUT can ask you to document the information required to consider the abovementioned conditions and requirements.
c. The application will be rejected if you do not submit appropriate, authentic and sufficient information that will enable NOKUT to process the application.
What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?
If you cannot get recognition of your foreign qualification, you can achieve an equivalent craft and journeyman’s certificate through Norwegian vocational education and training. Read more about other recognition procedures on our FAQ page (What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?)
NOKUT assesses foreign vocational education and training in comparison to a specific Norwegian vocational qualification. Please note that content of your vocational education and training determines which Norwegian craft and journeyman’s certificate(s) we can assess and compare your qualification to. We will inform you if we find that your qualification should be assessed in relation to one or more other Norwegian vocational qualifications.
You can find more information about recognition of foreign vocational education and training on the page for Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please contact us:
Telephone: + 47 21 02 18 60 (Monday and Tuesday 12–15)
* Please keep in mind that all email is unencrypted. We therefore recommend that you do not disclose sensitive personal data when you contact us. If you choose to give us more information than we need, we are obliged to inform you that such information will be deleted. To ensure that you are familiar with our privacy statement and your rights, we provide this information before you contact us. You will find more information on how NOKUT processes personal data in our privacy statement.
About the recognition procedure
As part of the recognition procedure, a panel of experts evaluates your vocational qualification. The evaluation does not take into account work experience that was not part of your vocational education and training. Recognition of your craft or journeyman’s certificate means that your qualification is comparable with a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. Recognition is voluntary, and intended to assist you on the Norwegian job market by providing information about your qualification.
NB! NOKUT does not issue Norwegian craft or journeyman's certificates. We do not evaluate foreign master craftsperson certificates.
Conditions for the recognition of foreign vocational education and training as comparable with Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate or diploma:
- The Qualification must be formal and issued by a responsible authority.
- The Qualification must be completed, be of minimum three years’ duration, with at least one year of documented practical training.
- The Qualification shall largely be based on knowledge, skills and competence equivalent to those described in the Norwegian Qualifications Framework level 4A, thus equivalent to Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. The professional profile of the qualification will be the decisive element in the recognition of comparable vocational education and training.
On this page, you will find information about the documentation you must upload together with your application for recognition.
- NOKUT requires documents in the original language and translations of these documents (read more about translations). You must upload all pages of the document.
- You may upload other relevant documents not mentioned in NOKUTs requirements together with a short description and explanation why.
- The submission of fraudulent documentation and/or false statements will be reported to the police.
How to apply
- Complete your application in NOKUT’s applicant portal and upload all required documentation.
- Double check that you upload all the required documentation.
- You are responsible for providing the required documentation, and for making sure that, the uploaded documents are clear and legible. NOKUT recommends that you upload scans of the original documents. See guidelines for uploading documents.
- NOKUT does not return original translations or (apostilled) copies.
What happens now?
Processing time starts as soon as we have received all the requested documents. It normally takes four months from we receive all the documentation, until we have finalized the evaluation.
You will be notified if processing time will be longer than usual.
NOKUT uses digital mailbox. This means that if you are to receive important letters from us digitally, you'll need to create your own digital mailbox.