Recognition of foreign vocational education and training
NOKUT assesses the scope, level and vocational content of your foreign vocational education and training in comparison to a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate.
Message to our applicants
The Norwegian Directorate of Health has issued a number of measures in order to stop the spread of the corona virus (COVID-19). Among them is the recommendation that employees work from home.
NOKUT will do its utmost to maintain regular functions during the time to come, but this situation will also affect NOKUT’s work. Until the situation changes for the better, we regret to announce the following:
- NOKUT no longer has visiting hours on Thursdays.
- NOKUT will answer questions sent to email@example.com, but it may take longer than usual to receive a reply. You will find the answer to most questions about the recognition procedure on our website.
- NOKUT will continue the processing of applications for recognition of education, training and professional qualifications. However, the processing time may be longer than usual.
We will return to business as usual as soon as the situation allows.
Follow our application guide:
Who can apply?
NOKUT assesses foreign vocational education and training completed on upper secondary level in comparison to Norwegian crafts and journeyman’s certificates.
NOKUT accepts applications for recognition of vocational education and training from Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland in the following qualifications:
- Cabinet maker
- Cook, institutional cook
- Industrial concrete worker
- Industrial machinery mechanic
- Meat cutter
- Motor vehicle mechanic, light and/or heavy vehicles
- Retail butcher
- Sausage maker
- Wood products carpenter
The recognition procedure will gradually include more countries and qualifications. Please see our website for information.
NB! NOKUT does not issue Norwegian craft or journeyman's certificates. We do not evaluate foreign master craftsperson certificates.
What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?
If you cannot get recognition of your foreign qualification, you can achieve an equivalent craft and journeyman’s certificate through Norwegian vocational education and training. Read more about other recognition procedures on our FAQ page (What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?)
NOKUT assesses foreign vocational education and training in comparison to a specific Norwegian vocational qualification. Please note that content of your vocational education and training determines which Norwegian craft and journeyman’s certificate(s) we can assess and compare your qualification to. We will inform you if we find that your qualification should be assessed in relation to one or more other Norwegian vocational qualifications.
What does NOKUT assess?
Recognition of foreign vocational education and training includes an assessment of vocational content. That means that NOKUT assesses your vocational education and training and compares it in scope, level and vocational content with a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate.
The evaluation does not take into account work experience that was not part of your vocational education and training.
Recognition of your vocational education and training means that your qualification is comparable with a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. Recognition is voluntary, and intended to assist you on the Norwegian job market by providing information about your qualification. You can use NOKUT’s recognition when applying for jobs in non-regulated professions. Employer can decide whether they would like you to apply for recognition.
Conditions for the recognition of foreign vocational education and training as comparable with Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate or diploma:
- The Qualification must be formal and issued by a responsible authority.
- The Qualification must be completed, be of minimum three years’ duration, with at least one year of documented practical training.
- The Qualification shall largely be based on knowledge, skills and competence equivalent to those described in the Norwegian Qualifications Framework level 4A, thus equivalent to Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. The professional profile of the qualification will be the decisive element in the recognition of comparable vocational education and training.
On this page, you will find information about the documentation you must upload together with your application for recognition.
- NOKUT requires documents in the original language and translations of these documents (read more about translations). You must upload all pages of the document.
- You may upload other relevant documents not mentioned in NOKUTs requirements together with a short description and explanation why.
- The submission of fraudulent documentation and/or false statements will be reported to the police.
How to apply?
- Complete your application in NOKUT’s applicant portal and upload all required documentation. You can log into the portal by clicking on “Apply for recognition” below.
- Double check that you upload all the required documentation.
- You are responsible for providing the required documentation, and for making sure that, the uploaded documents are clear and legible. NOKUT recommends that you upload scans of the original documents. See guidelines for uploading documents.
- NOKUT does not return original translations or (apostilled) copies.
What happens with my application?
In the first phase NOKUT assesses your documentation
A case officer reviews your application and checks whether you have included all necessary documents. If NOKUT requires more documentation, you will receive an email that asks you to log in to the Applicant portal. Under My tasks you will find a form to submit missing documents.
Processing time starts as soon as we have received all the requested documents. It normally takes 2–4 months from we receive all the documentation, until we have finalized the evaluation.
You will be notified if processing time will be longer than usual.
Have you already applied for recognition of foreign vocational education and training? You find your application and correspondence with us in the Document overview in NOKUT’s applicant portal.
In the second phase NOKUT assesses the content of your application
Once you have submitted all documents, NOKUT assesses the content of your application.
- First, we check whether your documents are authentic or not
- Followingly, we assess whether your vocational education and training is on the equivalent level to Norwegian vocational education and training (VET). You can find more information about the Norwegian VET system here.
- We further assess the vocational content of your qualification and whether it overlaps with any of the Norwegian craft and journeyman’s certificates that are included in the recognition scheme.
- NOKUT seeks advice from a group of external experts in the trade. They compare the vocational content of your qualification to the content in the Norwegian qualification, based on curricula, national legislation and other information about your qualification.
- If NOKUT does not have access to information about the content of your qualification, we need to get in touch with national authorities abroad, which may take time.
- Once the external experts have given their advice, NOKUT concludes the assessment and sends you a decision letter (in Norwegian). You will be notified that you have received a document, and you have access to it in your digital mailbox and in the Applicant portal.
NOKUT uses digital mailbox. This means that if you are to receive important letters from us digitally, you'll need to create your own digital mailbox.
You can find more information about recognition of foreign vocational education and training on the page for Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please contact us:
Telephone: + 47 21 02 18 60 (Tuesday and Thursday 12–14)
* Please keep in mind that all email is unencrypted. We therefore recommend that you do not disclose sensitive personal data when you contact us. If you choose to give us more information than we need, we are obliged to inform you that such information will be deleted. To ensure that you are familiar with our privacy statement and your rights, we provide this information before you contact us. You will find more information on how NOKUT processes personal data in our privacy statement.
NOKUT is processing your personal data when we are evaluating your application and receiving inquiries. You must create a profile in our applicant portal to register an application. It is necessary for NOKUT to process your personal data from your profile to process your application. We encourage you not to provide sensitive information in your profile. We would like to inform you that if you choose to register more or other personal data than what we ask for, these data will be a part of your profile and your application.
We provide this information to ensure a level of knowledge about our Privacy Notice and to inform you about your rights.
Further information about how NOKUT process personal data can be found in our Privacy Statement.