Terms for the recognition of foreign vocational education and training
On this page, you will find the legal basis and the conditions for NOKUT`s recognition of foreign vocational education and training (VET).
The legal basis is found under the provisions of the Act of 17 July 1998 no. 61 relating to Primary and Secondary Education and Training (the Education Act) (pdf) § 3-4 a (translated by NOKUT):
“The Ministry [of Education and Research] decides on the basis of individual applications if foreign vocational education and training shall be recognized as comparable to Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate or diploma. Vocational education and training is considered comparable if and when it has the same level and scope as the Norwegian vocational education and training and comprises many of the essential elements of the given profession. ”
The Ministry of Education and Research has delegated the authority to recognize foreign VET to NOKUT. For the time being, the Ministry is the authority that deals with appeals.
NOKUT's conditions and requirements for this recognition
Conditions for the recognition of foreign vocational education and training as comparable with Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate or diploma
- The Qualification must be formal and issued by a responsible authority.
- The Qualification must be completed, be of minimum three years’ duration, with at least one year of documented practical training.
- The Qualification shall largely be based on knowledge, skills and competence equivalent to those described in the Norwegian Qualifications Framework level 4A, thus equivalent to Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. The professional profile of the qualification will be the decisive element in the recognition of comparable vocational education and training.
Requirements for applicants and NOKUT`s process
- The applicant must have legal residence or occupational connection to Norway to be able to seek recognition of their foreign vocational education and training.
- The decision on recognition shall be based on authentic information on the qualification.
a. The applicant is responsible for giving sufficient information and in good faith.
b. NOKUT can ask the applicant to document the information required to consider the abovementioned conditions and requirements.
c. The application will be rejected if the applicant does not submit appropriate, authentic and sufficient information that will enable NOKUT to process the application.
- The decision on recognition shall be based on an assessment made by an expert.