Recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education
NOKUT assesses the level and scope of your foreign tertiary vocational education. The recognition scheme is voluntary and you can apply for work in Norway without this recognition.
Follow our application guide:
Who can apply?
You can apply for recognition if you have tertiary vocational education from abroad.
- Do you have a craft or journeyman’s certificate from abroad? Apply for recognition of foreign vocational education and training
- Do you have higher education from abroad? Apply for recognition of foreign higher education
In order to work in a regulated profession in Norway, you must apply for recognition (authorization) from the appropriate recognition office responsible for your profession. Check whether your profession is regulated in Norway.
A general recognition in accordance with section 7 in the Act of Higher Tertiary Vocational Education does not grant rights where Norwegian law or regulation requires authorization, certification or approval for professional practice.
What does NOKUT assess?
Recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education includes an assessment of your education in comparison to the Norwegian education system, in accordance with Act relating to Tertiary Vocational Education (fagskoleloven) section 7 (in Norwegian) and regulations on tertiary vocational education (fagskoleforskriften) Chapter 9. You will get an assessment of the level and scope of your education, and what it usually can be used for in the country where it is completed. This recognition scheme does not assess the content of your education.
The assessment is document-based. NOKUT’s assessment is a decision in accordance with the Public Administration Act section 2 b.
What can the recognition be used for?
NOKUT’s recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education is voluntary and is a tool to help you in the Norwegian job market. It is up to employers to decide whether they require NOKUT’s recognition or not.
On this page, you will find information about the documentation you must upload together with your application for recognition.
- NOKUT requires documents in the original language and translations of these documents (read more about translations). You must upload all pages of the document.
- You may upload other relevant documents not mentioned in NOKUT's requirements together with a short description and explanation why you include them.
- The submission of fraudulent documentation and/or false statements will be reported to the police.
NOKUT reserves the right to ask for additional information; this could be for instance original educational documents, identity documents and original translations. The application will be rejected if we do not receive the requested documents.
A) Diploma confirming completed tertiary vocational education
A document confirming your tertiary vocational education. This may be a certificate or a diploma.
B) Trancripts of grades
Transcripts of grades or report card from your tertiary vocational education. By transcript of grades/report card we mean a list/overview of subjects/grades for all the years of your tertiary vocational education.
C) Upper secondary education
The final certificate from upper secondary school/high school. Alternatively, the final diploma or certificate form the education that gave you access to tertiary vocational education.
D) CV, résumé
A document that gives an overview of training, practice, education and work experience. We encourage you not to send us sensitive information, as uploaded documents cannot be deleted from our system.
E) Proof of name change
This is relevant only if you have changed your name.
Valid documents for proof of name change:
- Marriage certificate (Norwegian or foreign) that contains both your old and new name
- Divorce certificate (Norwegian or foreign) that contains both your old and new name
- Confirmation of name change issued by the competent official authority in the country where you had your name changed
- Confirmation of name change issued by the Norwegian National Registry
F) Applicants without MinID
If you do not have MinID, please upload a copy of your identity document:
- Please upload a copy of the page showing your full name, date of birth and photo. If this information is on different pages, please upload copies of all pages containing name, birth date and photo.
- Please do not upload copies of blank pages.
Valid identity documents:
- Valid international passport (including emergency passport)
- Family passport
- National identity card issued by an EEA or EFTA country
- Norwegian refugee travel document
- Norwegian immigrant’s Passport
How to apply?
- Complete your application in NOKUT’s applicant portal and upload all required documentation. You can log into the portal by clicking on “Apply for recognition” below.
- Double check that you upload all required documentation.
- You are responsible for providing the required documentation, and for making sure that the uploaded documents are clear and legible. NOKUT recommends that you upload scans of the original documents. See guidelines for uploading documents.
- NOKUT does not return original translations or (apostilled) copies.
What happens with my application?
Processing time starts as soon as we have received all the requested documents. Since the recognition scheme is newly established, it may take time to process your application.
To be able to process the application, NOKUT must assess the education system and qualifications at this level in the country where the education has been completed. You will be notified if we need additional information regarding your education.
You will also be notified if processing time will be longer than 4 months.
Have you already applied for recognition of foreign vocational education and training? You will find your application and correspondence with us in the Document overview in NOKUT’s applicant portal.
NOKUT uses digital mailbox. This means that if you are to receive important letters from us digitally, you'll need to create your own digital mailbox.
You can find more information about recognition of foreign vocational education and training on the page for Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please contact us:
Telephone: + 47 21 02 18 60 (Tuesdays and Thursdays 12–14)
* Please keep in mind that all email is unencrypted. We therefore recommend that you do not disclose sensitive personal data when you contact us. If you choose to give us more information than we need, we are obliged to inform you that such information will be deleted. To ensure that you are familiar with our privacy statement and your rights, we provide this information before you contact us. You will find more information on how NOKUT processes personal data in our privacy statement.
NOKUT is processing your personal data when we are evaluating your application and receiving inquiries. You have to create a profile in our applicant portal to register an application. It is necessary for NOKUT to process your personal data from your profile to process your application. We encourage you not to provide sensitive information in your profile. We would like to inform you that if you choose to register more or other personal data than what we ask for, these data will be a part of your profile and your application.
We provide this information to ensure a level of knowledge about our Privacy Notice and to inform you about your rights.
Further information about how NOKUT process personal data can be found in our Privacy Statement.
Important when logging in
- When logging in to NOKUT's applicant portal, use one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge. Please do not use Internet Explorer.
- We recommend that you apply from a PC, not from a mobile