Recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education
From 05.06.2018, you will no longer be able to apply for an assessment of your foreign tertiary vocational education.
New general recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education
You will be able to apply for general recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education in 2019. The recognition procedure is voluntary, and intended to assist you on the Norwegian job market by providing information about your qualification. The recognition will be a decision in accordance with section 7 in the new law of higher tertiary vocational education. Once the provision has entered into force, NOKUT will receive applications on general recognition of tertiary vocational education.
Have you already applied for an assessment of your foreign tertiary vocational education?
Applicants who have applied for an assessment of foreign tertiary vocational education will receive a decision letter and not an assessment, in 2019. You do not need to send a new application for a general recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education. Until section 7 of the new law of higher tertiary vocational education enters into force, NOKUT will further develop our systems and routines pending the new approval scheme.
More information will be published here.
What does NOKUT recognise?
Recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education includes an assessment of your education in comparison to the Norwegian education system, in accordance with Act relating to Tertiary Vocational Education (fagskoleloven) section 7 (in Norwegian). You will get an assessment of the level and scope of your education, and what it usually can be used for in the country where it is completed. This recognition scheme does not assess the vocational content of your education.
The assessment is document-based. NOKUT’s assessment is a decision in accordance with the Public Administration Act section 2 b.
What can the recognition be used for?
NOKUT’s recognition of foreign tertiary vocational education is voluntary and is a tool to help you in the Norwegian job market. It is up to employers to decide whether they require NOKUT’s recognition or not.
Read about NOKUT’s criteria for recognition
On this page, you will find information about the documentation you must upload together with your application for recognition.
- NOKUT requires documents in the original language and translations of these documents (read more about translations). You must upload all pages of the document.
- You may upload other relevant documents not mentioned in NOKUT's requirements together with a short description and explanation why you include them.
- The submission of fraudulent documentation and/or false statements will be reported to the police.
NOKUT reserves the right to ask for additional information; this could be for instance original educational documents, identity documents and original translations. The application will be rejected if we do not receive the requested documents.
A) Diploma confirming completed tertiary vocational education
A document confirming your tertiary vocational education. This may be a certificate or a diploma.
B) Trancripts of grades
Transcripts of grades or report card from your tertiary vocational education. By transcript of grades/report card we mean a list/overview of subjects/grades for all the years of your tertiary vocational education.
C) Upper secondary education
The final certificate from upper secondary school/high school. Alternatively, the final diploma or certificate form the education that gave you access to tertiary vocational education.
D) CV, résumé
A document that gives an overview of training, practice, education and work experience. We encourage you not to send us sensitive information, as uploaded documents cannot be deleted from our system.
E) Proof of name change
This is relevant only if you have changed your name.
Valid documents for proof of name change:
- Marriage certificate (Norwegian or foreign) that contains both your old and new name
- Divorce certificate (Norwegian or foreign) that contains both your old and new name
- Confirmation of name change issued by the competent official authority in the country where you had your name changed
- Confirmation of name change issued by the Norwegian National Registry
F) Applicants without MinID
If you do not have MinID, please upload a copy of your identity document:
- Please upload a copy of the page showing your full name, date of birth and photo. If this information is on different pages, please upload copies of all pages containing name, birth date and photo.
- Please do not upload copies of blank pages.
Valid identity documents:
- Valid international passport (including emergency passport
- Family passport
- National identity card issued by an EEA or EFTA country
- Norwegian refugee travel document
- Norwegian immigrant’s Passport
How to apply?
- Complete your application in NOKUT’s applicant portal and upload all required documentation. You can log into the portal by clicking on “Apply for recognition” below.
- Double check that you upload all required documentation.
- You are responsible for providing the required documentation, and for making sure that the uploaded documents are clear and legible. NOKUT recommends that you upload scans of the original documents. See guidelines for uploading documents.
- NOKUT does not return original translations or (apostilled) copies.
What happens with my application?
Processing time starts as soon as we have received all the requested documents. Since the recognition scheme is newly established, it may take time to process your application.
To be able to process the application, NOKUT must assess the education system and qualifications at this level in the country where the education has been completed. You will be notified if we need additional information regarding your education.
You will also be notified if processing time will be longer than 4 months.
Have you already applied for recognition of foreign vocational education and training? You will find your application and correspondence with us in the Document overview in NOKUT’s applicant portal.
NOKUT uses digital mailbox. This means that if you are to receive important letters from us digitally, you'll need to create your own digital mailbox.
You can find more information about recognition of foreign vocational education and training on the page for Frequently Asked Questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please contact us:
Telephone: + 47 21 02 18 60 (Monday and Tuesday 12–15)
* Please keep in mind that all email is unencrypted. We therefore recommend that you do not disclose sensitive personal data when you contact us. If you choose to give us more information than we need, we are obliged to inform you that such information will be deleted. To ensure that you are familiar with our privacy statement and your rights, we provide this information before you contact us. You will find more information on how NOKUT processes personal data in our privacy statement.
NOKUT is processing your personal data when we are evaluating your application and receiving inquiries. You have to create a profile in our applicant portal to register an application. It is necessary for NOKUT to process your personal data from your profile to process your application. We encourage you not to provide sensitive information in your profile. We would like to inform you that if you choose to register more or other personal data than what we ask for, these data will be a part of your profile and your application.
We provide this information to ensure a level of knowledge about our Privacy Notice and to inform you about your rights.
Further information about how NOKUT process personal data can be found in our Privacy Statement.