Recognition of foreign higher education
Do you have a foreign education that may be unknown to Norwegian employers? Then it could be smart to apply for recognition, but be aware that a recognition is not required in order to use your diploma in Norway.
If you have already submitted an application, you can check the status here:
Follow our application guide:
Who can apply?
You can apply for this recognition if you have higher education from abroad.
Please be aware that your education may require a special authorisation. If it is a regulated profession, a different form of recognition will be necessary. Check the list of regulated professions.
You can find more information about general recognition of higher education on the page for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you cannot find the answer to your question there, please contact us:
Telephone: + 47 21 02 18 60 (Monday and Tuesday 12–15)
* Please keep in mind that all email is unencrypted. We therefore recommend that you do not disclose sensitive personal data when you contact us. If you choose to give us more information than we need, we are obliged to inform you that such information will be deleted. To ensure that you are familiar with our privacy statement and your rights, we provide this information before you contact us. You will find more information on how NOKUT processes personal data in our privacy statement.
About the recognition procedure
This is a recognition procedure for persons with higher education acquired abroad.
Your education programme is evaluated against the Norwegian degree structure. If your education programme is recognised as higher education in Norway, you will receive a decision from NOKUT. The decision describes the duration of the education programme, the number of credits it is worth and if it is equivalent to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD. The recognition does not say anything about the academic content of your education programme. NOKUT’s general recognition of higher education is voluntary, and is intended as an aid for those who wish to enter the Norwegian job market.
Is your education from one of the Nordic countries? Some qualifications are automatically recognized
Some qualifications from the Nordic countries are automatically recognized by NOKUT. If you have one of these degrees, you can now download a statement, which shows that your degree is automatically recognized by NOKUT.
How can I use NOKUT’s recognition of foreign higher education?
You can use NOKUT’s recognition of foreign higher education when applying for jobs in professions that are not regulated. It is up to the individual employer if they require you to have recognition from NOKUT or not.
The recognition document can also be used as an aid in salary placement.
In addition, the recognition document may be used in connection with admission to further studies in higher education, but you do not normally need recognition from NOKUT to apply for admission to higher education in Norway.
In the drop-down menu below, you can find information about NOKUT’s documentation requirements.
How to apply
- To complete your application in NOKUT’s applicant portal and upload all required documentation.
- Double check that you upload all required documentation.
- You are responsible for providing the required documentation, and for making sure that the uploaded documents are clear and legible. NOKUT recommends that you upload scans of the original documents. See guidelines for uploading documents.
- NOKUT does not return original translations or (apostilled) copies.
Case processing time
It normally takes around two months from NOKUT receives all documentation, until we have finalised the evaluation. Because of introduction of a new case processing system it may, during the transitional period, take up to four months until your application is finalised. If you have received an email with a reference number, your application is received.
NOKUT is processing your personal data when we are evaluating your application and receiving inquiries. You have to create a profile in our applicant portal to register an application. It is necessary for NOKUT to process your personal data from your profile to process your application. We encourage you not to provide sensitive information in your profile. We would like to inform you that if you choose to register more or other personal data than what we ask for, these data will be a part of your profile and your application.
We provide this information to ensure a level of knowledge about our Privacy Notice and to inform you about your rights.
Further information about how NOKUT process personal data can be found in our Privacy Statement.