What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?

If you cannot get recognition of your foreign qualification, you can achieve an equivalent craft and journeyman’s certificate through Norwegian vocational education and training. The county municipality offers vocational education and training. As an adult, you can for example:

  • Apply for upper secondary education and training
  • Apply for an assessment of prior experiential learning: this is an evaluation of the skills and competences you have acquired through formal training, employment, courses, on-the-job training, etc.
  • Sign up for a qualifying examination (as a candidate for experience-based trade certification)

Be aware that the practice is different in the various county municipalities. If you want to read more about vocational education and training for adults, please check these websites: