– We contribute towards quality assurance and enhancement in education


Frequently asked questions

On this page, you will find questions and answers related to the recognition of vocational education and training.

You can log in using MinID. When you log in through MinID, your contact information will already be registered and you do no need to fill in your personal information or create a password.

You will hear back sooner from NOKUT if you have a digital mailbox. If you do not have a digital mailbox, you receive letters by post and your letters will be available in the applicant portal.

You can update changes in name or address on the webpages of the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Applicants without a Norwegian national ID number or D number can also apply through the applicant portal. At the bottom of the login page, you will find the alternative: Proceed to alternative login methods. Here you can create an application by filling in your personal information. You must have an email address in order to use this service. In addition, you must upload copies of an ID document.

If you are going to work and reside in Norway less than six months, you must have a D number, in order to be registered in the Norwegian National Registry. A D number is required to receive a tax deduction card.

Please take care of your login information and use it to log in every time you use the Application Portal.

Forgotten user name/password

If your don`t remember your user name. Send us an email to utland@nokut.no

If you don’t remember your password, you can easily request a new one (“Request new password” under “Password” field).

Having trouble logging in?

Check Frequently asked questions – Login, error messages etc.

[ - ]

This means that the foreign vocational education and training contains all the essential elements of Norwegian vocational education and training. Read more about the terms/conditions for recognition.

[ - ]

The recognition is meant for the Norwegian job market and does not have an official status in any other country. It is a requirement that you have legal residence or occupational connection to Norway. This means that you must either reside in Norway with an intention of applying for jobs here, or, if you do not have legal residence in Norway, you must have an employer with work assignments in Norway.

[ - ]

In order to make the correct decisions, NOKUT makes use of experts on Norwegian vocational education and training. We appoint experts based on advice from professional councils within vocational education and training. As a result of their education, skills or experience, the experts hold extensive knowledge about specific vocational education and training.

[ - ]

No. NOKUT can only recognize completed qualifications, as comparable with Norwegian craft and journeyman’s certificates or diplomas. NOKUT cannot recognize parts of the vocational education and training. If NOKUT cannot recognize your qualification, it might be relevant for you to obtain a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate. Read more under the question What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?

[ - ]

If your documents are issued in a different language than English or one of the Nordic languages, they must be translated into Norwegian or English. The translation must be done by the educational institution or a government-authorized translator. It must be apparent in the documents who has done the translations. Read more about translations.

[ - ]

If you do not have all your documents, you might be able to request them from the authority that issued them.

[ - ]

NOKUT’s recognition of foreign vocational education and training is a tool to help you to establish yourself in the Norwegian job market. You can use NOKUT’s recognition when applying for jobs within professions that are not regulated. It is up to the each employer to decide whether they require NOKUT’s recognition or not.

[ - ]

In Norway, a craft or journeyman’s certificate is a formal vocational certificate, which is a documentation of your competences within a specific vocational field. When you have completed a vocational education and training programme, including training in an enterprise, you receive a craft or journeyman’s certificate. After completed training, you do a qualifying examination. When you have passed this exam, you receive a craft or journeyman’s certificate.

If your vocational education and training is within one of the traditional skilled crafts, you normally receive a journeyman’s certificate. For most other vocational fields, you receive a craft certificate.

[ - ]

You can apply for NOKUT’s recognition of foreign vocational education and training if you have completed a vocational education and training. Since this is a newly established recognition procedure, we open the procedure to applicants with vocational education and training from Germany and Poland. We assess craft and journeyman’s certificates in the following professions:

  • Bricklayer
  • Butcher
  • Cabinet maker
  • Carpenter
  • Glazier
  • Hairdresser
  • Industrial concrete worker
  • Industrial machinery mechanic
  • Meat cutter
  • Painter/decorator
  • Retail butcher
  • Plumber
  • Sausage maker
  • Upholsterer
  • Wood products carpenter

We will gradually include other countries and professions.

[ - ]

NOKUT’s recognition of foreign vocational education and training was established in 2016. In this first phase, we only offer recognition of certain craft and journeyman’s certificates from Germany and Poland. We will later gradually include other countries and professions in the recognition procedure.

If your vocational education and training is not part of the recognition procedure, you can ask for an assessment of prior experiential learning. If you have long and comprehensive experience within a profession, but you do not have a craft certificate, you might be qualified for the practice candidate scheme. For more information about the assessment of prior experiential learning or the practice candidate scheme, please contact the vocational education and training office in your county municipality. Read more under the question What if NOKUT cannot recognize my vocational education and training?

[ - ]

There can be several reasons why an application is rejected:

  • There are essential differences between your qualification and Norwegian vocational education and training
  • Your country/profession is not part of the recognition procedure
  • Your profession is a regulated profession
  • Have you submitted all the documentation we need to assess your application? Check the documentation requirements

Do you have questions about the result of the evaluation? Contact us.

[ - ]

If you cannot get recognition of your foreign qualification, you can achieve an equivalent craft and journeyman’s certificate through Norwegian vocational education and training. The county municipality offers vocational education and training. As an adult, you can for example:

  • Apply for upper secondary education and training
  • Apply for an assessment of prior experiential learning: this is an evaluation of the skills and competences you have acquired through formal training, employment, courses, on-the-job training, etc.
  • Sign up for a qualifying examination (as a candidate for experience-based trade certification)

Be aware that the practice is different in the various county municipalities. If you want to read more about vocational education and training for adults, please check these websites:

[ - ]

NOKUT does not recognize foreign master craftsman's certificates. The requirements for master craftsman's certificates in Norway are set by the Master Craftsman Certificate Committee. To become a master within a vocational field, a minimum requirement is that you have a Norwegian craft or journeyman’s certificate, or equivalent education and training from abroad. Foreign education and training will always be evaluated against an equivalent profession/craft or journeyman’s certificate in Norway.

More information on master craftsman's certificate from the Master Craftsman Certificate Committee (in Norwegian)

[ - ]

Some professions in Norway are regulated. This also applies to certain professions with craft and journeyman’s certificates, for instance health care worker, crane operator and electrician. In order to work in a regulated profession in Norway, you must first apply for recognition (authorization) from the appropriate recognition office responsible for your profession. Check whether your profession is regulated in Norway.

There are separate regulations for recognition of professional qualifications for EU/EEA nationals.

[ - ]

The Norwegian qualifications framework for lifelong learning (NQF) gives an overview of official qualifications in Norway, and shows on which level the qualifications are. NQF is also a tool for comparison of Norwegian qualifications with qualifications from other countries. NQF is a contribution to the promotion of lifelong learning.

Read more about NQF on our webpages.

[ - ]

We recommend that you apply for recognition through NOKUT’s electronic applicant portal. If you cannot apply through the electronic applicant portal, you must notify us that you wish to opt out of online communication. We will then send you a paper application form.

There are many advantages to applying through NOKUT’s electronic applicant portal. You will save time, you can easily track the progress of your application, and the result of your application is always available as a downloadable PDF-document.

If you still want to opt out of online communication, you will need to register via ID-porten if you have previously registered your mobile phone number or e-mail address when logging in to an online public service via ID-porten.

In order to receive a paper application form from NOKUT, you must send an email to utland@nokut.no. The email must include a text that explains your wish to opt out of online communication. In addition, you must include the following information:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Language preference: You can choose between English and Norwegian
  • Desired recognition procedure: You can choose between General recognition of higher education and Recognition of vocational education and training

A paper application form will be sent to your mailing address.

[ - ]

Europass CV is a document that presents an overview your competences. Read more about Europass on the website of the Norwegian Center for International Cooperation in Education (in Norwegian).

[ - ]